Friday, May 19, 2017

Greenhouse Update

So after a long long cool wet winter/spring, we are finally into some really beautiful sunny days.  I'm new to greenhouse gardening.  We were careful to find the sunniest spot in the garden for the greenhouse, and plants have been starting wonderfully.  I've got all kinds of flowers, and vegetable plants started, and have already moved some into the garden and flower beds.
Today, on our first full sun day when it got to just over 70 degrees, the greenhouse was more like an oven.  I'm going to get a thermometer to keep track of the temperature in there, but know I need to do something to provide a bit of shade. 
I had a roll of black plastic so I tried to improvise a mini-shade, knowing that I would need it soon if not today.  The greenhouse has a built in gutter on the east and west sides that is about an inch wide - I left the black plastic folded so I can open it up for more shade if I need to.  Then I tucked the black plastic into the gutter and wedged a dowel into the gutter on top of the plastic to hold it in place.
So greenhouse gardeners - what do you do about full sun days when your greenhouse can heat up quickly and fry all your plants?


No comments:

Post a Comment