Wednesday, May 31, 2017

The Empress Tree

When we visited our friends on Vashon Island last fall, I noticed their very attractive unusual tree.  It had broad leaves and interesting dark brown seed pods over the entire tree.
Then she told he how her husband had tried many ways to get rid of it.  The seeds fall out of the pods and make a big mess on the patio, so he first cut it down (it grew back) and then sprayed it with Roundup (no impact on the tree).  Still, the seed pods were so pretty that I collected a few.  Ron strongly suggested that I NOT plant them.  He isn't very fond of any deciduous trees, and wasn't looking forward to one that produced a bunch of new trees.
So the seed pods are still sitting on my windowsill, and I was still thinking about whether and where to plant them.
When we went back to Vashon to visit last week, the tree was in bloom, and it was one of the most beautiful trees I have ever seen!
The blossoms are in clusters in almost the shape of lilac clusters, but the flowers are much larger, and each one looks more like an orchid than anything else.
Even the leaves are pretty.
Needless to say, I'm planting my seeds and hoping for the best!

No comments:

Post a Comment