Wednesday, November 8, 2017

Nurse Logs on My Morning Walk

When I went out on my walk today, I started to notice all the nurse logs and stumps and just how beautiful they are.
It makes me wonder what this area looked like to the original explorers who saw these massive trees before they became nurse stumps.
A long time ago I read that when Lewis and Clark saw the huge trees in the Pacific Northwest they assumed that the soil was very rich.  As you can see from the roots on this tree, they can cling to nearly anything and thrive.
As the stump rots, all kinds of little nooks and crannies are created to make habitat for little wild critters.
Eventually, the old tree is completely gone, and only the above ground roots show that it ever existed.
All the nurse logs, are also great for providing fun places for children to explore, play hide-n-seek,  and build forts.

No comments:

Post a Comment