Sunday, November 7, 2010

Chili Rellenos - Georgia Style

Our neighbor, Bobbie, had a couple of pepper plants just dripping with peppers.  I am not too crazy about hot peppers, but gladly took a bowlful of the banana peppers to attempt Chili Rellenos that two of my sisters have made for me.  I never attempted to make them myself, but hated to pass up the beautiful peppers Bobbie offered me.  My sister, Anne, cautioned me that the normal peppers used for chili rellenos are poblano peppers, but the banana peppers seemed the right size, so I gave them a try.  I used the recipe my sister, Anne, sent via email.
First, I washed and seeded and deveined the peppers and added a finger of Asaigo cheese (like mozarella but a bit firmer):
 Then I separated 3 eggs and stirred the yolks with 3 Tablespoons of flour until creamy.  The whites were beaten until fluffy, and the two were folded together to make the batter.
 I fried each battered pepper individually until golden brown.
 All fried peppers were placed in a baking dish and sprinkled with a combination of shredded mozarella and cheddar cheese and baked at 350 for 20 minutes.  Very tasty, and the banana peppers didn't have to be prefried to remove the skins.  

4 comments:

  1. That looks delicious! Great pics, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are banana peppers hotter of have less heat than poblanos? I like chile rellenos but have to mave mild peppers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Linda the banana peppers are very mild and the skins are thin (non existent) so they are so easy to use. If you use the poblanos which are hotter, they have to be pre-fried or parboiled to loosen the skins and peeled - a messy and time consuming prospect. It was definitely a "do again" dish for us.

    ReplyDelete