Saturday, August 14, 2010

Canning Tomatoes to Live Locally

Amy at step 1 - heating tomatoes so skins would slip off.



My daughter, Amy, and son-in-law, Dan, are on a mission.  They are starting on September 22 (the fall equinox) to eat only what they can find within a 100 mile radius of their home in Seattle for one full year.  You can follow their quest to become "locovores" on Seasonally Seattle.

Since they couldn't face a week without tomatoes, and tomatoes aren't available locally year round, today they brought two flats of tomatoes to our house to learn the art of canning.
Step 2 - Dan peeling and paring and packing tomatoes in jars

Part of the fun is working together to produce the beautiful jars of bright red tomatoes.

Follow Amy and Dan's progress on their blog, http://seasonallyseattle.blogspot.com where they will share sources, budgets, recipes and more.

3 comments:

  1. Well, good luck to them. I can't imagine going without bananas. How do you get them locally? Or oranges or lemons? There have to be exceptions.
    BTW, I just stick whole tomatoes in the freezer. Much easier than canning. But those jars do look beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree about bananas - chocolate? Yikes! I'm too old to deprive myself of that much even though I do try to eat what is fresh and in season wherever I happen to be. I think they do have a couple of exceptions they allow and Amy chose lemons as she cooks with them extensively.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really miss canning tomaotes. Glad Amy is doing this. Thanks for visiting my blog!

    ReplyDelete