Thursday, November 19, 2009

Boating on Lake Eufaula

We like to make every outing a real adventure.

Hornets had found the holds on the boat, and we spent two days getting them out and the boat cleaned. The boat hadn't been run for months and it wasn't running too good, so David was keeping it kind of close to the dock. I went down to take a picture, and they all decided to come back to the dock to see if I wanted to go with them. They were going to take the boat down to the State Park and fill the gas tank. I said "no, thanks," but then they told me no one knew how to get to the State Park, so I said I would run down there with them to show them where to turn. It was a nice sunny day and I was just in jeans and a tshirt. I didn't have any coat, but didn't think about it being colder on the water until we were well underway.

I asked David how much gas we had, and he said the gauge was reading "less than zero." We decided to stop at Pataula Creek, as it was closer than the State Park. All of us were a bit worried we could make it there without running out of gas, but we got there with the boat still running, although a bit ragged.

As soon as we came to the boat ramp, we realized there was no gas pump on the dock. We had already discussed money, and realized that only Dick had any money with him, so he and I started to walk to the gas station/convenience store and see if we could buy some gas. Of course we didn't have a can with us either. :(

It was about a quarter mile to the station, and about half way there, I realized that Dick wasn't with me. I had found a ratty old jacket in the hold and put it on when we were underway. The mud dauber wasps had made nests on it, but I had picked them off, but I still looked like a hobo.
So I presented myself with no ID, no money, and looking like a real vagrant. The station owner was very kind and agreed to loan us two 5 gallon gas cans and fill them at the station, and would even drive us back the boat. I still had to find Dick to pay for the gas, but at least we weren't going to have to paddle 6 miles home.

Meanwhile, Barb was finally convincing Dick that I might need money for the gas, so he headed up to the station. As he was leaving, Mom shouted at him, "DICK, DICK" when he looked around to see what she wanted, she said "Bring me some chips!" Mom always knows how to focus on what is really important!

By the time we reached our dock, the sun was setting and it was getting dark and cold and Ron was wondering where on earth I had disappeared to.....but I did have my pictures.






And we were back at the dock before the sun set.



I

No comments:

Post a Comment