Friday, October 11, 2019

Apple Time in Washington

Harvesting is what makes Fall special for me.  We just had our first light frost, but it was enough to send me gathering squash, apples, carrots and beets.  In spite of much competition from local critters, I have an abundance of apples.  I've made apple juice, and dried apples, given them away, shared with deer and raccoons, and still have apples.  They are purely organic, so not exactly perfect
But once they're peeled and pared, they have great taste.  Not too sweet, and not too tart.
So I dug out the much used Apple Cake recipe my friend from Boeing shared with me many many years ago.
We're trying to cut back on demon sugar, so I've modified the recipe this year:
Mix together:
4 cups raw apple peeled and diced (I cut into quarters and then chop them finer with my hand chopper.)
2 cups sugar (I substitute 3/4 cup brown sugar and 1 cup Stevia)
1/2 cup cooking oil
1 cup chopped walnuts
Beat two eggs and add with 2 tsp vanilla to apples and mix well.


Mix dry ingredients: 
 2 cups flour
3 tsp baking soda
3 tsp cinnamon
3/4 tsp salt

Add to apples and mix well. 
Pour into 9 x 13 baking dish and bake at 350 degrees for about 40 minutes.  It may take a few more minutes.  Check with toothpick after 40 minutes.
I suppose you could frost it, but I don't.  Ron and I managed to eat an entire cake in 3 days - but it's almost health food and I did eat it for breakfast every day. :)






1 comment: