Thursday, June 28, 2018

Summer in the Garden

Many years ago, we planted several thousand Noble fir and Douglas fir trees with the intention of selling Christmas trees.  The thing we didn't factor in was that we have been spending winters at our Georgia house and wouldn't be here to actually sell the trees when they were big enough.  To make matters worse, we planted a couple of thousand trees in pots, and put three rows of them inside the garden fence.
The trees continued to grow, and I continued to ignore them as I had plenty of garden space.  However, they had finally gotten tall enough to seriously shade the raspberries, and about half of the garden.  So Ron has been removing them with the trackhoe.
The fence is gone, the trees are gone, but we still have a major job ahead cleaning out all the roots and parts and pieces of the pots we planted them in.  By next spring, we should have reclaimed garden area.  For now, we've eliminated some serious rabbit and slug habitat, and the raspberries are already looking better.
My jam making season begins!
The peas that I planted in the raised bed with a chicken wire fence to keep out the bunnies are doing great.
So is the cabbage that's inside the fence in the raised bed.
We're enjoying new potatoes nearly every day.
We should have lots of zucchini soon.
Leeks
and beets are nearly ready to thin and harvest.
You can see the netting over the strawberries - it doesn't totally keep the bunnies and birds out, but it does allow me to get a few strawberries too.  Sometimes I find it all balled up at the end of the garden, so I know something got tangled up in it.  I nearly get myself enmeshed if I'm not careful.
We had a family day last weekend, and the weather cooperated so Grandpa was able to give thrill rides to the kiddos and I was able to swim with them for the first time this year.
It was a perfect day - not too hot, not too cold.  Just right for enjoying family time outdoors.
We enjoyed a full day, ending with the kids making smores, 
And we watched the Mariners win, so we all had a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment