Sunday, October 7, 2012

Fifty Years Later - Class of '62

Time flies if you are having fun - even if you aren't I suspect!  It is hard to believe it has been 50 years since we graduated from high school.  Our graduating class had 28 people - but over the years, many others dropped in and out of our school, and we have managed to stay connected to nearly double that total. Twelve of the people we once went to school with have died.

Our little town has an annual festival called "Railroad Days" in honor of the railroad that once ran through the town, connecting the mining areas of Monte Cristo to the east and our town to the larger population centers to the west.  The only remaining traces of the railroad can be found in the artifacts in the museum in town and in our celebration of it on the first Saturday of October each year.

We started our day at the table of honor at the alumni meeting.  The room was packed with alums from as far back as the class of '36.  The alumni association is very active in providing scholarships to each graduating class, raising money through events such as "Balls at the Falls".  For $5 you can buy an orange ball, which is tossed with all the other balls into the falls.  The first three balls to pass Chappel bridge win cash prizes.  
Vendors of all kinds, music, and games carry on throughout the day.
I wasn't that happy with the pictures I got of my classmates, but here are some (in no particular order).
Bob
Arthur
Terry
Joe
John
Liza
Elsie
Willard
Rosemary
Diane
Mary
Michael
Gene
Joanne
Bill
Jackie
Edith
2012
1962


4 comments:

  1. So was this in Granite Falls?
    I went to my 50th in June of this year. Your class photo looks so much like mine, only smaller. we had a class of 128 in Molalla, Oregon. But the photo styles and the hair styles are so "classic". Weren't we all so good lookin' back then!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we were (good lookin' that is) - and yes, it is Granite Falls. Such a traditional little village where about half of the graduating class started out in kindergarten together and whose parents went to school together before that.

      Delete
  2. Rosemary:

    You are so lucky to keep in touch with all your classmates. I am in touch with no one from the old days. It just seems that everyone has different interests and we just drift apart and make new friends along the way.

    I have been on the Darrington loop and through Granite Falls a long time ago. I always wanted to visit Monte Cristo. Maybe one day . . .

    I think being in a smaller community like Granite Falls is easier to keep in touch with each other

    bob
    Riding the Wet Coast
    My Flickr // My YouTube

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Bob,
      I have been reading your posts and wondering where you are located. I think it is somewhere in NW Washington, and I have wondered if we can get together sometime for a ride. My husband, Ron, has a Honda Gold Wing that we ride every good day when we are in Washington. Right now we are in Florida for the winter, but let's try to get together for a ride in the Spring if that works for you!

      Delete